Show summary Hide summary
- What happened at the White House perimeter and the immediate response
- Who is the suspect: background, previous contacts and social posts
- Official statements and ongoing investigation
- How the press and nearby people reacted during the shooting
- Broader context: recent security incidents in Washington, D.C.
- What we know now and key takeaways for public safety
Gunfire erupted near a Secret Service checkpoint outside the White House Saturday evening, ending with the suspected shooter dead and a bystander critically wounded. Authorities later identified the man as 21-year-old Nasire Best, a figure with several prior encounters with law enforcement and documented mental health incidents.
What happened at the White House perimeter and the immediate response
Officials say the shooting began around 6 p.m. ET near 17th Street and Pennsylvania Avenue. Witnesses reported rapid, sustained gunfire. Reporters on the North Lawn and nearby areas were ordered to seek shelter.
Natalie Alyn Lind teases a really messy Dutton Ranch season: hints at surprise changes
Grey’s Anatomy halts production: cast and crew stand with national shutdown
- An individual pulled a firearm from a bag and began shooting outside a Secret Service checkpoint.
- Secret Service officers returned fire and struck the suspect.
- The suspect was taken to a local hospital and later pronounced dead.
- A bystander was hit and remains in critical condition.
- No Secret Service officers were reported injured.
The Secret Service said the President was inside the White House during the incident. Operations and protectees were not forced to relocate.
Who is the suspect: background, previous contacts and social posts
Law enforcement and media outlets named the suspect as Nasire Best, 21. Court and media records show a history of mental health encounters and at least one involuntary psychiatric commitment.
- Police allege Best once claimed he was “Jesus Christ” during a separate arrest.
- Authorities previously detained him after an incident near the White House in July 2025.
- Social media posts attributed to him included the message, “I’m actually the son of God.”
- He is said to have threatened the life of President Donald Trump at one point.
An affidavit from 2025 noted Best was “known to the Secret Service” for wandering the White House complex and asking about entry points. Those prior contacts appear to have put him on the agency’s radar.
Official statements and ongoing investigation
Secret Service spokespeople described the scene and confirmed agents fired in response. Agency officials stress the matter remains under active investigation.
- Agency representatives reported no officer injuries.
- Investigators are reviewing body camera footage, witness accounts and potential social media evidence.
- Federal and local authorities are coordinating next steps.
Additional details will be released as the investigation proceeds, according to law enforcement sources.
How the press and nearby people reacted during the shooting
Reporters scheduled near the North Lawn were swept into a secure briefing area. Several journalists said they were filming moments before shots rang out and described the sound as dozens of rounds.
Those on site were instructed to shelter in place for roughly 40 minutes while the perimeter was secured. Nearby residents and tourists were also asked to avoid the area until officials cleared the scene.
Broader context: recent security incidents in Washington, D.C.
This episode arrives weeks after another high-profile shooting tied to a White House-related event. In that case, gunfire erupted in the Washington Hilton lobby during the White House Correspondents’ Dinner.
- A Secret Service agent sustained an injury from a bullet striking his vest in that incident.
- The suspect in the Hilton shooting, Cole Tomas Allen, was arrested and faces federal charges, including attempted assassination of the president.
Security officials say they continually adapt protocols after each incident. The recent string of events has prompted renewed scrutiny of access points, patrol patterns and how mental health encounters intersect with public safety.
What we know now and key takeaways for public safety
- Immediate facts: one suspect killed, one bystander critically injured, no agents harmed.
- Suspect profile: 21-year-old with prior law enforcement contacts and documented mental health issues.
- Investigation status: active, with federal and local agencies leading evidence collection and interviews.
Authorities continue to ask anyone with information or footage of the incident to come forward. The Secret Service has been contacted for further comment as the inquiry moves forward.











